Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ten things I've Noticed About the Utah Jazz


I've been a Jazz fan for a long time now. As a kid, growing up, I loved Charles Barkley and David Robinson, mostly because of their commercials, here and here. Having lived in Salt Lake City with no cable television since I was seven years old, if I ever watched any basketball, it was almost always the Jazz. I tried hard to be a displaced fan, but too many years of Stockton to Malone, pick and roll basketball left me as a true blue(then it was purple) Jazz fan.

For whatever reason, I never recall my dad getting into NBA basketball. We always went to Utah basketball games together, but for the most part he never loved the Jazz, until the NBA finals. I guess everyone has their own point in their life when they are "converted."

I brought that last story up for one reason. It's the first observation I have of this team so far this year.

-My dad doesn't like this team. According to him, they don't play defense, take too many jumpers, and just aren't "that good." Typically, I've heard him say in years past, that this team is "fun to watch," and "they play Jerry ball," which is especially complimentary, because he used to have lunch at the same place as Jerry and the rest of the staff from time to time. Even got my Jr Jazz team into a Jazz practice once. Guy Brown loves Jerry ball. This team doesn't play much Jerry ball.

- Al Jefferson looks like he came straight out of high school. Say what you want about the league's rule making players spend a year in college, but I honestly believe it makes a difference. You can tell that Al hasn't ever been forced to play team basketball, that his fundamentals on defense and within a system aren't built around the "team first" style that the Jazz will probably always run. He has made strides this year, especially as of late, but you can tell that he's doing a lot of learning right now. Which leads me to this conclusion....

-Al Jefferson will be an all-star next year. His shot-blocking is 8th in the league, his pick and roll D is getting better, and he is starting to integrate his post skills inside the offense. If he can develop more aggression in the low post, and improve his overall hustle and more specifically, rebounding, he should at least be in contention to get the nod.

-Earl Watson was a terrific signing. Sometimes, we get so attached to superstars that we think we'll be screwed without them(see: Denver Nuggets), but the way Earl has played has really made me rethink how things will be if something ever happens to Deron. He does a great job of just pushing the ball, regardless of whether or not anyone is joining him, and he throws some terrific lob/oop passes.

-The Jazz lack a legitimate second option to compliment Deron in the back court. I love Raja the person, but Raja the player has been sub standard. C.J. Miles is inconsistent defensively and offensively, and Gordon Hayward needs time to get his body up to NBA standards. He is, after all, only 20.

-Gordon Hayward will be an All-Star. Just not sure when.

-If Jeremy Evans can develop a three point shot, AK becomes obsolete. If you look at his year statistically, he's nowhere near the player he was five or six years ago defensively. He still does some good things offensively, but the guy who used to play defense like Ed Reed does on the football field just hasn't been explosive.

-Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap would be better suited with another 7 footer on the floor. I keep asking myself if Millsap could play the three spot, and we could slap either Memo, if he ever gets back to form, or perhaps Ante Tomic, if the Jazz decide he's ready to come over, and really run some bigs, or if maybe the best option is to just trade Millsap for a wing and try and find a defensive big like DeAndre Jordan in the draft, but my gut tells me the best thing is to just wait and see what happens with this team as is.

-I don't see the Jazz bringing everyone on this team back. I think Earl, AK, and possibly Elson or, as much as I hate saying this, Fesenko could return. Jazz have a team option on C.J. Miles that I would assume they'll exercise, but don't be surprised if they let him loose. There are a TON of wing players that will be free agents this summer, including Shawne Williams, Shane Battier, Jamal Crawford, Caron Butler(a guy the Jazz have always liked), and Tayshaun Prince. Along with Hayward and Evans under contract, it makes sense the Jazz would look to sign someone other than C.J., or try and move up to draft a solid two that could help them immediately, while still keeping payroll in check. Ronnie Price is debatable, as the Jazz have typically always carried three point guards, but you can always speculate about bringing in another point guard in the draft to groom to back up Deron.

--They definitely miss Memo, and I think because of that, they won't leave the first round of the playoffs. Deron Williams at times this year, looks like he either doesn't trust his teammates, or that he's trying to force assists to happen, instead of scoring and creating space by slashing defenses. He looked so stellar at the beginning of the year, but clearly either the effort of trying to come back from all those games, or perhaps his injuries, or the losing, has caught up to his game as well. However, the way things sit, the Jazz have nowhere to go but up right now, and there are still a lot of games left for this team to prove to itself how capable it truly is. Stay tuned....


No comments:

Post a Comment