Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In the House Again....

Bet you thought you were done with me. Bet you thought, "Man, am I ever glad to have Chasey T all to myself without that clown Brown Bear trying to speak his mind all over the place". Bet you were wrong. Like a stray cat, Big Brown is back for his milk. I figured the best way to do it would be to load you onto my riverboat and hit some thoughts rapid fire. Buckle up, Booner!!! Oh, wait....


-JAZZ!!! How do you get your fans back to a frenzy after going 8-0 in preseason and then losing your first two games by twenty points a piece? By having power forward/All-American Bad Ass Paul Millsap drop 46 on the Miami Heat and come from down 22 to win against the Superfriends. (Cue Zach Galifianakis singing here.) The Jazz have been hit or miss this season, especially the new guys( Big Al, Gordon Hayward aka G Spot, even Raja Bell) but this is the kind of game that we as fans live for, when you come back against a capable opponent, and thrive in crunch time. Don't take this as me crowning the Jazz, that day will ONLY come if I see them beat a healthy Laker team in LA, but as a fan, this is what you want to see out of your team, especially as they start a four game east coast swing.

-If ever there was a country that was susceptible to obsessions, it is America. Call of Duty Black Ops is out and if you are sitting there, asking yourself, of what does Brown Bear speaketh? Pull yourself out of the bunker. C.O.D is probably the most infamous game around, a monumental time waste and perhaps the best idea that our Military has ever developed, besides Paul Millsap that is. (See Above) I'm not much of a gamer, but even I have started to get sucked into the Call of Duty world, and by sucked in I mean getting routinely plastered in games, all while having a blast. Jobs? Jobs? We don't need no freaking JOBS!!!

-Deep Sigh. I knew it was coming. I tried to avoid it, but like a pimple on Prom Night, everyone saw. Utah was demolished, and that is being polite. I could have handled a loss, but what eats at me is the way they essentially fell apart against TCU, at times looking more lost than the Mtn channel on Dish Network. (See what I did there? Jokes. Gotta love them.) Credit Gary Patterson and TCU for being the real deal, and shame on the Utes for playing like scared kitty cats (no pun intended) and serving their fans a heaping plate of humble pie. By the way, it tastes like sh!t.

-At this point I'd like to reference the fact that I actually PICKED the Horned Frogs to beat the Utes at the beginning of the season, and also said they were the team most likely to be able to win a national championship. I also called Alabama losing to South Carolina, and LSU, and while I'm bragging, invented string cheese and have just become the new king of Sudan. Suck on that, Angry Readers! Just kidding, we have none. I mean readers. Really, its just my mom and dad. Moving on....

-DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!!! I may have induced the reverse-jinx karma early on in the year. Wow. Good thing August predictions are November's kindling. The Cam Newton Era has been abruptly knocked off course, due to allegations that Newton demanded payment to go to school at Miss. State, which, honestly, I can't say I totally blame him, I've heard very little in the good department for Miss. State. However, the Tigers are still undefeated and Newton is still eligible, and as long as that is the case, they continue to roll into the National Championship game. My hope is they lose to Alabama, because more than anything I want to see Oregon v. TCU. That offense trying to score against what may be an NFL caliber defense? Put me to bed. I passed out from excitement.

-I would normally do a quick rundown of the NFL right now, but I think there is enough to talk about with the League that I can write another column tomorrow before catching my flight to Notre Dame. I wanted to close out by dropping a take on the San Francisco Giants. I admit, I rooted against the Gigantes, like any rational Padres fan would do, but by the time they were closing out the Rangers, even I was buying in to the "Let Timmy Smoke" hype and cheering for them. The thing about sports that we often forget between the contract disputes, lockouts, and selfish behavior we so often see from athletes, is that it is one of the most unifying, emotional, intense experiences that we have here on Planet Earth. The Giants to me, symbolize what is right in Professional Sports; homegrown pitching, a group of misfits and outcasts that found a common ground and depended on each other to win their way to a championship, a city that was in need of a championship, and a culture looking for an icon (the pot culture) that could prove his capabilities in the face of criticism or doubt (Tim Lincecum), and one "soul murderer" in Brian Wilson, who may be the funniest athlete of all time. I'm disappointed that this team didn't get more publicity or respect or attention, which they most definitely deserved, but part of that blame lies at the feet of Bud Selig for allowing the season to continually run too far into October, and part of it lies at the feet of baseball writers and purists that seem to hold on so tightly to the history of the game, that it seems to slowly be killing baseball in this country. I don't want to overshadow what the Giants did, because they deserve the spotlight, even if it is only in this column.

No comments:

Post a Comment